All this happened, more or less...

My name is G and these are the true stories of my adventures.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Well, Hello There

Isn't it amazing how quickly we fall in and out of our little habits? This blog fluctuates for me, from ritual to chore to dusty shadow of a pastime and back again. I haven't been especially busy, but blogging has simply slipped steadily down the priority list.

Instead, over the past few months I've been occupying myself with winding down the school year, which included teaching Life of Pi to my advanced seniors -- officially my most rewarding teaching experience thus far. School ended last week, and now I'm free to do my usual summer routine of bouncing around irresponsibly, visiting all my friends, and spending all my money.

Steven & Aggie

In family news, we've had a pretty interesting year. I got a new little brother. Steven, a sixteen-year-old German exchange student, has been living with my family to finish out his last year of high school. He'll be returning to Mannheim indefinitely in July, but we're hoping he'll be back here eventually for at least a year of university. I completely adore him. I have two older brothers and a younger sister, but having a baby brother is an entirely new experience for me -- one which has involved a lot of teasing and a lot of side-splitting laughter.

Steven & Shelley

As we're winding down to the end of his stay, we've naturally been spoiling Steven a bit, which included taking spring break in Florida at our uncle's and enjoying quite a bit of time on that beauty of a boat. We've also taken him to Holland (Michigan, that is) to see the lake and the tulips, and last week, I took him down to Cedar Point.

The Current Affair

I <3 Dutch boys

Got Kitsch?
I so love Holland.

Veldheer Tulip Farm

P1030651

I will pit CP against your finest theme park any day. The impressive-looking ride shown below is the Top Thrill Dragster -- 420 feet tall; 0 to 120 mph in 4 seconds. Yeah, that is a schweet ride. Definitely a thriller. Maverick -- which they wisely put in the place of that stupid canoe ride -- is awesome as well. Fast, unpredictable, and very smooth. Loved it.

P1030703

P1030673

My other big adventure this spring has been moving. A huge arigato to craigslist for helping me unload my apartment! Once free there, I moved in with a couple of my coworkers in what has quickly become known as the "teacher frat house." We don't have a sofa on the deck, but we're planning on throwing keggers every weekend and putting up some big Greek letters. Jury's still out on how the neighbors will respond, but our male roommate explained our Three's Company set-up to the mailwoman by telling her he was running a brothel. That went over well, as I'm sure you can imagine, and is only the tip of the iceberg.

Living room, balcony
Sayonara, apartment living!

Headed to LA in the morning to catch up with MJ 2.0, then just have a brief return home to wash laundry and repack before heading to Japan with a group of six students. Wild rides ahead, folks. Hold on to your hats!

No comments: